Born on 4th December 1947 at Faizabad, U.P., Mr. Saran secured a Bachelor’s Degree in Mining Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University in 1969. He served Tata Steel for 25 years, starting from their various mines, Paradip port and Kolkata & Jamshedpur Offices. He rose to the position of Director – Raw Materials, Tata Steel in 1988 & Director of Budgets in 1993. He availed voluntary retirement from 1st April, 1994.
Mr. Saran founded the VISA Group in April 1994 and has built it up from scratch to a significant minerals, metals and energy conglomerate
The VISA Group includes the following businesses:
- VISA Steel – Listed on BSE & NSE, VISA Steel is operating a 0.5 million TPA fully integrated Special Steel, 180,000 TPA Ferro Chrome & 75 MW Captive Power at Kalinganagar in Odisha. The Company plans to expand capacity of Kalinganagar unit to 1 million TPA and also set up an integrated Steel Plant in Chhattisgarh and an integrated Steel Plant & Manganese Alloy Plant in Madhya Pradesh..
- VISA Power – VISA Power is executing a 1,200 MW coal-based independent power plant at Raigarh in Chhattisgarh with development of captive Coal mines and developing a 1,320 MW Coal-based independent power plant at Cuttack in Odisha. VISA Power is developing a captive coal block in Fatehpur East in Chhattisgarh and plans to synchorinize the commissioning of the power plant at Raigarh along with the start up of the Captive Coal Mines. .
- VISA Resources – Active in international trading of bulk industrial raw material and products including energy products - thermal coal, coking coal & metallurgical coke; minerals – chrome ore / concentrates, iron ore & manganese ore; Non-ferrous – bauxite & alumina and Metals – ferroalloys, pig iron & steel.
Philanthropically, creating and improving educational and medical facilities for the poor in backward districts of Odisha, Chhattisgarh, UP and West Bengal through “VISA Trust”, founded by him and his wife.
- Honorary Consul of the Republic of Bulgaria for Eastern India.
- Trustee on the Board of Kalyan Bharti Trust & VISA Trust.
- Chairman of the Board of Governors, Heritage Institute of Technology, Kolkata.
- Member of National Executive Committee of Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industries (FICCI).
- Formerly President of Indian Chamber of Commerce, Kolkata.
- Formerly - President of Coal Consumers Association; Trustee on the Board of Chennai Port Trust; Member, Governing Council of the International Chromium Development Association, Paris; Raw Material Committee of the International Iron & Steel Institute, Brussels; CII Eastern Regional Committee; Board of Tata Sponge Iron Limited and Standard Chrome Limited ( both subsidiaries of Tata Steel at that time).
- A keen golfer and art collector.
Married to Mrs. Saroj Agarwal (BA from BHU Varanasi), a keen golfer (former winner of all India Golf Ladies Championship Trophy - Silver Division) and former Captain of Ladies Golf Union, Tollygunge Club, Kolkata. She is Managing Director of VISA International and VISA Infrastructure Limited and President of the Ladies Study Group.
Has 3 sons – Mr. Vishal Agarwal (M Sc Economics from University of Oxford, UK), Vice Chairman & Managing Director, VISA Steel, Mr. Vikas Agarwal (M Engg from University of Cambridge, UK), Vice Chairman & Managing Director of VISA Power and Mr. Vivek Agarwal (M Engg from University of Cambridge, UK), Managing Director of VISA Resources Pte. Ltd..
Mr. Vishal Agarwal
Vice Chairman & Managing Director, VISA Steel
Born on 14th September 1974 in Faizabad, Uttar Pradesh. After completing his schooling from Mayo College in Ajmer and Cheltenham College in UK, Mr. Agarwal completed his Bachelor Degree in Economics from London School of Economics in 1996 and a Masters Degree in Economics for Development from Oxford University in 1997.
During 1997 to 2004, Mr. Agarwal developed the international trading business for the VISA Group in minerals and metals including Chrome Ore, Manganese Ore, Iron Ore, Alumina and Ferro Alloys.
Since 2004, he has developed the Greenfield projects of VISA Steel from scratch in Odisha. The Company is setting up an integrated 1 million TPA Special Steel Plant in Odisha, out of which 0.5 million TPA is fully operational. VISA BAO Limited, a 65:35 joint venture between VISA Steel & Baosteel, China, has set up a Ferro Chrome Plant at Kalinganagar in Odisha. A 51:49 joint venture between VISA Steel and SunCoke Energy, USA, VISA SunCoke Limited, is operating a 400,000 MT per annum heat recovery coke plant and associated steam generation units at Kalinganagar in Odisha.
His sporting activities include Golf, Tennis & Swimming. Mr. Agarwal is also actively involved in promoting CSR activities in the areas of education and healthcare in Odisha & Chhattisgarh through the VISA Trust.
Mr. Agarwal is a committee member of CII Eastern Regional Council and Indian Chamber of Commerce in Kolkata.
He is also the Chairman of VISA SunCoke Limited and a member of the Board of Directors of VISA BAO Limited.